The blessings of friendship treasury by Mary Engelbreit is a lovely “feel good” collection of thoughts, poetry, and Bible verses about friendship and loving each other. Engelbreit’s characteristic illustrations are colorful and fun. They bring further meaning to the writings she chose.
She includes some familiar choices and some surprises:
- “A friend is the first one to come in when the whole world has gone out.”
- “Friendship needs no reason.” –Ibycus
- “Hug o’ War” poem by Shel Silverstein
- “Friends are the family you choose for yourself.” –Edna Buchanan
- “Do to others as you want them to do to you.” –Luke 6:31
- “Love one another and you will be happy, it is as simple and as difficult as that.” –Michael Leunig
- “There was a definite process by which one made people into friends; it involved talking to them and listening to them for hours at a time.” –Rebecca West
Although this treasury is published as a collection for children, it would be well appreciated by some of my best friends. It is a hardback book of good quality that I would recommend as a keepsake for yourself, a good friend, and children who are at least eight years old.
4 out of 5 stars
Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of this book from BookLook Bloggers in exchange for my honest review.